Single Sign On (SSO) is, almost always, mentioned as the technology that will solve the pain clinicians experience when accessing clinical workstations. Our experience has proven that SSO is only a single component in the big picture of solving the pain that clinicians associate with accessing a computer to do their job. Symantec Workspace Corporate (SWC) has integrated all of the components required to eliminate the pain and enable the clinicians focus on patient care without spending wasted time in front of the computer.
When a healthcare organization is looking at a solution to ease the pain associated with their clinical workstations, the end-to-end solution needs to be considered, not just SSO. The components and features that encompass the end-to-end solution are SSO, a consistent look a feel, roaming session containing all required clinical applications, dynamic printer creation at initial login and when roaming, fast access at login and at reconnect and the integration of third-party authentication devices.
- Instance access to desktop – SWC provides the ability to access the SWC session without having to launch a connection prior to providing credentials. This is a time savings of at least 10 seconds by reducing the number of clicks and keystrokes required by the end-users
- Badge reader integration – Badge readers are fully integrated with the SWC product. There is no need to have any third party products installed in order to utilize badge readers.
- Rapid login capabilities – By using their existing badges, users can input their passwords and, for a customizable timeframe, the user will not need to input their password again until the timeframe expires.
- Launching local applications from a full desktop – SWC has the ability to present a locally launched application seamlessly into the SWC terminal server session. This provides the ability to present an application within the user’s session that might not be compatible with a multi-user environment or an application that is not vendor support in an RDP over RDP or ICA or RDP scenario.
- ntegrated Functionality – SWC integrates, into a single product, the functionality that would require multiple vendor products to achieve the same results. A few examples: SSO, workflow, third party authentication devices and session brokering.
- Healthcare Focus – SWC was designed specifically to address the medial IT environment. The key benefits of Workflow, SSO, location awareness (printing), speed of access and session roaming are helpful in many enterprise environments. They’re critical in healthcare.
Source: Coretek Sr. Infrastructure Architect